CCE-MC 4-H offers a diverse selection of school-based programs
Ag in the Classroom:
- Integrating the National Agricultural Literacy Curriculum into STEM units
- Connecting school curriculum to careers – Identifying and integrating specific examples of Ag-tech careers in Monroe County that can serve to engage and motivate students in STEM.
- USDA news related to Agriculture Careers: "One of the Best New Fields For College Graduates"
- Using Monroe County data for Inquiry – Incorporating data from a variety of citizen science projects (e.g. Bird Sleuth, Habitat Network, Monarch Watch, iMapInvasives, GLOBE, Stream Monitoring Network) into specific STEM units.
We currently utilize the following kits:
WeDo 2.0 - Strengthens students’ understanding of the eight science and engineering practices, including asking questions and solving problems, modeling, prototyping, investigating, analyzing and interpreting data, computational thinking, creating evidence based arguments, and obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information. Appropriate for grades 2-3.
LEGO MINDSTORMS - Students design and build programmable robots using high quality motors, sensors, gears, wheels, axles, and other technical components. Enables students to understand and interpret two-dimensional drawings to create three-dimensional models; build, test troubleshoot and revise designs to improve robot performance; Gain practical, hands-on experience using mathematical concepts such as estimating and measuring distance, time and speed. Appropriate for grades 4-6.
- Sustainable school gardens for pollinators, produce / herbs, rain gardens
- School cafeteria recycling and food waste-to-compost systems
- Stream macroinvertebrate identification and water quality monitoring
More information HERE.
Last updated June 30, 2022