Pea Planting Tips
- Plant when soil reaches temperature of about 50F. Peas is a cool-weather crop and the first to be planted outdoors in our region
- For best yield, ensure soil pH of 6.0 - 7.5, adjust with limestone or wood ashes if necessary
- In well drained soils sow 1 - 1.5" apart in 3" band (25seed/ft)
- Do not thin
- Varieties under 3' tall can be grown without support in rows 12" - 18" apart. For taller varieties use a trellis or chicken wire to keep vines upright for easy to pick and keep them off the ground. Suspend the bottom of the trellis just above the young plants. Install at the time of planting.
- Harvest when peas enlarge in pods
Last updated July 26, 2019